CFI Supports Unite Women
April 16, 2012
Staff at Center for Inquiry recently learned of a group called Unite Women whose mission is to unite against the war on women’s rights by orchestrating marches and rallies all across the country on April 28th. “We will be standing with women and men in every State making sure that our voices are heard!” I encourage you to read more about UniteWomen.org.
- Virginia legislators recently tried to enact an invasive, mandatory “trans-vaginal ultrasound” measure for women seeking abortions.
- In Mississippi, lawmakers took a cue from Virginia and are now pushing the same type of regressive, restrictive legislation.
- Texas Governor, Rick Perry, has ended funding to Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers under the Texas Women’s Health Program.
- GOP presidential candidates want to end Medicaid funding and turn it into block grants.
- Personhood legislation and amendments are being actively pushed through state legislatures in attempts to criminalize contraception and family planning.
- State voter registration laws that suppress voter turnout - especially among poor women, seniors and minorities - are already in place and spreading.
Many of these facts are probably not new to you. Recently, the secular and skeptical movements have been talking about women’s issues and uniting with other organizations to have an impact on restrictive, conservative legislation that seeks to limit the rights of women. People want to do something about it, and we shouldn’t be dividing our efforts by each trying to organize our own events. We’re busy getting ready for the Women in Secularism conference and can’t help with the planning of the Unite Women rallies, but you are all over the country and can help us to make a difference by showing up and adding to the unified voice.
In the coming days, CFI will be working with Unite Women to connect their staff with our established network of supporters and volunteers. Several college campuses will be having rallies that you can attend in order to “loudly denounce the ongoing attacks on women from the extreme right.” Click on your state on the main page at UniteWomen.org to see what is happening in your area.
About the Author: Dren Asselmeier
Dren Asselmeier does student outreach as a campus organizer at the Center for Inquiry. She got her start as an organizer while interning at Center for Inquiry–Michigan in 2008. She stayed until 2010 as a volunteer campus coordinator, and was CFI–Michigan Freethinker of the Year in 2009, as well as president of Center for Inquiry–Grand Valley State University. Dren has a B.A. in English from Grand Valley State University. She is the president of Buffalo Area Non-Profit Professionals, an event volunteer at Buffalo Subversive Theatre, and a contributor to the Buffalo Storyteller Hour.
The Course of Reason is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
CFI blog entries can be copied or distributed freely, provided:
- Credit is given to the Center for Inquiry and the individual blogger
- Either the entire entry is reproduced or an excerpt that is considered fair use
- The copying/distribution is for noncommercial purposes